There are several types of dog crates on the market today to suit all dog breeds. Selecting the best dog crate for your dog can be a daunting task for some dog owners, especially new dog owners. The best dog crate should not only be durable and comfortable for your dog but it should also be easy to clean and well ventilated. This article is intended to act as a guide to help you make the right decision when choosing a dog crate for your dog that if comfortable for your dog and one that will fit into your lifestyle effortlessly.
Tips for Selecting the Best Dog Crate.
When shopping for a dog crate, there are several questions that you need to ask yourself so that you can make a smart decision on which crate to buy for your dog. Here are some of the questions you need to ask yourself.
1. What is your dog’s temperament?
Asking yourself this question makes it easier for you to know the dog crate that will suit your dog’s temperament.
2. Do you want the dog crate to fit into your home décor?
If you love everything in your house to look stylish and to blend, this question is very important. It helps you select a dog crate that is made from material that blends with your home décor and one that comes in a color that matches your décor.
3. Do you need a portable dog crate?
If you intend to travel with your dog on holidays and vacations or you travel a lot; selecting a portable dog crate is very important. On the other hand, if you do not intend to travel with your dog, you do not need to consider the portability of the crate.
4. How much money are you willing to spend on the crate?
Having a budget is important when shopping for a dog crate. There are so many dog crates in the market that vary in sizes and price. Determining the amount of money you want to spend on a dog crate will guide you on the best crate that matches your budget and is ideal for your dog.
5. What is the exact purpose of the dog crate?
When you are shopping for a dog crate, ensure that you stick to the initial purpose of the crate. You might be looking for a dog crate because your dog needs a comfortable place to sleep or maybe you need a dog crate since you want to travel with your dog. Select the dog crate that meets the exact purpose of the crate.
6. What breed is your dog?
Different dog breeds have different temperaments and also have different sizes. If your dog is in the small dog breed; then you can look out for smaller dog crates. If your dog is in the large dog category, you need a larger dog crate that can comfortably accommodate your dog.
When you have answered all the above questions, you can be able to pick the best crate for your dog. It is important to note that the best dog crate is the one that suits your dog’s need and matches your budget. No matter how durable a dog crate looks; if it is not comfortable for your dog, then it is not the best dog crate for you. The comfort, safety and durability of the crate should be important factors to consider when shopping for a dog crate.
Types of Dog Crates
There are different types of dog crate available in the market. Dog crates can be classified into different categories depending with the type of material used to make the crate, the prices of the dog crates, the portability and size of the crate amongst other factors. In this article, we will be focusing on the types of dog crates based on the material used to make the crates. Each type of dog crate has its pros and cons depending on your needs and requirements. Here are the five types of dog crates available in the market today.
The soft-sided dog crates are some of the most portable dog crates in the market. The dog crates are made of soft materials all around their walls. Some crates are made of soft tube frame to make assembling easier while others resemble a carrying case. This type of dog crate is lightweight and easy to carry. It is a great selection for small dogs, travelling, camping or going for picnics. These dog crates are also very affordable and some can easily be washed in the washer. Soft-sided dog crates are also very easy to store and will not take up much space.
• They are very portable and ideal for airplane rides and car rides.
• Soft-sided dog crates are acceptable in most airports.
• The dog crates are light weight, thus they are easy to carry.
• They are more comfortable for dogs.
• Some soft-sided dog crates fold down for easier storage.
• The dog crates are also very affordable.
• Some dog crates in this category can easily be washed in the washer.
• Soft sided crates are not ideal for dogs that like to chew and scratch as a result of being contained.
• They are not as durable as metal crates because they are made from a soft material.
• The crates require to be washed and dried which can be inconvenient for dogs that are not pot-trained yet.
• Some dogs can easily unzip or break out of the crates.
Best Soft-sided Dog Crate: EliteField 3-Door Soft Dog Crate
The EliteField 3-Door Soft Dog Crate is one of the top-rated soft-sided dog crates in the market. The dog crate is made from durable 600D fabric and a steel tube frame. It includes 3 doors for your dog’s comfort and convenience. The steel tube frame is very durable and lightweight, making it easy to transport. The crate is also very easy to store since it folds down to just 3 inches high. The EliteField 3-Door crate features hex mesh fabric side panels that provide your dog with 360-degree ventilation and visibility. The dog crate comes with a free carrying bag and a fleece bed for added value. It also folds down to just 3 inches high for easy storage and transport. The dog crate is however difficult to clean and cannot withstand chewing or scratches from a dog that wants to escape.
Plastic dog crates are lightweight and easily portable. These dog crates are sturdier than the soft sided crates. They provide your dog with more privacy than the metal cased crates. Plastic crates may be easier to clean depending on the type you choose. The crates come with ventilation holes which may not provide sufficient air at times, making then uncomfortable since the dog may not stay caged for long. The plastic crates are ideal for airline travel since they are easy to carry and store. The crates are more difficult for dogs to break out of which makes them an ideal selection. Plastic dog crates come in different colors which provide you with a wide range of crates to select from. You can choose the crate color that blends with your home décor. If you choose this type of dog crate, make sure that crate is in a space where air can blow through the crate to ensure that your pet doesn’t get overheated.
• They are easy to clean.
• The crates are durable.
• They are enclosed, hence creating a den for the dogs.
• Plastic dog crates help keep fierce dogs calm and quiet.
• They are approved by most airlines because they do not take up much space.
• The crates come in different colors which provide you with a wide range of crates to select from.
• Plastic crates are not fold able thus they are not easy to store.
• Some dogs may chew the crate since it made of plastic material.
• They may have a permanent dog smell since they absorb moisture and this makes them hard to clean.
• The dog crates are bulky making them difficult to carry around.
• The plastic dog crate is not ideal for a very social dog that likes to see what’s going on around, thus knowing your dog’s personality is important.
• The crate comes with ventilation holes which may not provide sufficient air at times which can result into your pet getting overheated.
The Petmate Compass Plastic Kennel is a high-quality plastic dog crate that has a simple slide and snap frame. It is a sturdy and durable dog crate that makes it an ideal choice for dog training as well as travelling. The crate is more difficult to escape, thus they are more secure for dogs that chew and scratch. It is very easy to clean and comes with large two-way door for convenience. Petmate Compass Plastic Kennel is airline approved thus it is great for airline travel. The dog crate provides you with 360-degree ventilation and visibility, which is great for social dogs that love to look at their surroundings. The crate is available in 6 sizes for dogs up to 90 pounds. It features an oversized doorway for easy entry. The slide and snap design makes it easy and quick to assemble the crate without using any tools.
III. Metal Or Wire Dog Crates
The metal dog crates dog are made of metal to ensure durable. They are well ventilated thus they provide your dog with great visibility and maximum air circulation. The dog crates are the best for dogs that chew a lot. The crates are also ideal for dog owners with dogs that overheat easily. They are very sturdy, even though you cannot conveniently travel with them because they are bulky. Some wire dog crates come with a foldable frame that can be folded after use, making them ideal for people with limited storage space since they do not take up too much space. They are not the most attractive dog crates to have in your living room but you can cover the crate with a sheet or cloth. Other than being bulky, the wire crates are also not ideal for small dogs since they can easily escape.
• Some metal dog crates are foldable for easy storage.
• The crates are easy to clean; some come with trays that you can slide out for cleaning.
• They are well-ventilated for maximum air circulation.
• The dog crates do not absorb moisture, so they remain pretty odor free.
• The crates provide your dog with 360 degrees visibility.
• The dog crates are the best for dogs that chew a lot.
• The wire crates are not recommended for canines that are reactive because of their high visibility.
• Dirt can easily get stuck in the bar compartments making the wire crate harder to clean.
• The metal dog crates are bulky; therefore they are not ideal for traveling.
• The dog’s nails make lots of noise because of the plastic surface.
• Some metal crates may make it easy for smaller breeds of dog to escape because of the closure.
The MidWest Ultima Pro Folding Crate is a strong and durable wire dog crate made from durable powder-coated steel wire. The dog crate features five cross-beams for improved strength and durability. The wire used is very strong and resistant to bending thus it is ideal for dogs of all size. The crate is very easy to assemble and disassemble, making it easy to carry and store. MidWest Ultima includes a carry handle for convenience. It comes with a slide-out plastic tray that makes it easy to clean.
Due to the heavy-gauge mesh used to make the dog crate, it might be pricier that most crates but it is more durable. The dog crate is available in 5 different sizes to match the size of different dogs. It has sturdy latches and hinges which ensure that your dog is well secured in the cage. The crate has a two-door design for easy access. You need to note that the bottom part of the crate is made from wire thus the dog may scratch your flooring if you don’t use the plastic feet.
IV. Wooden or Decorative Pet Crates
Wooden or decorative pet crates are made of wood and other similar artificial materials to bring out different unique designs. These dog crates are designed to blend perfectly with your home decor. The crate can be stationed in one corner of a room. The wooden dog crates come in different designs with some having multiple purposes; some crates can be used as a nightstand, table or other home furniture. The crates are difficult to transport from place to place because of they are bulky. The wood used to make the dog crates might not be ideal for dogs that chews because they will shred the crate after a while of use, especially if they are left alone. The crate might also not be ideal for dogs that are not potty trained since frequent ruining the wooden bottom can result into destruction of the crate.
• The crates easily blend into your home decor.
• The wooden crates are available in different styles.
• Some wooden crates can be used as a nightstand, table or other home furniture.
• Wooden pet crates are not suitable for dogs that destroy furniture.
• The crates are slightly more expensive than the other types of crates.
• Some decorative pet crates can be harder to clean and remove odors since wood absorbs moisture and odors.
The Crown Pet Crate Table is a decorative pet crate that is made from hardwood. The crate is well-designed for an attractive and functional look. The pet crate is more expensive than most dog crates in the market. The hardwood used to make the crate is very durable and comes in 3 finishes. The Crown Pet Crate is designed to keep your dog comfortable without disparaging from your home décor structure. It has a swing-through door plus plenty of ventilation all the way around the crate.
The crate also has a waterproof melamine-covered floor for easy cleaning in the event that your dog has an accident. The pet crate also offers your dog a 360-degree view of his environment, which is important for dogs that are social. The Crown crate is very easy to use but it is only available in two sizes. The crate cannot withstand heavy chewing since it is made of wood.
The combination pet crates are made of from a combination of materials. The combination of different materials helps improve the durability and functionality of the pet crate. One of the most common combinations is wood and metal. You can get a crate made from wood and steel. A crate with this combination offers you durability since it is made of steel and also has a stylish look that blends with your décor since it has wood. Some crates can also have a combination of material so as to make them unique. Combination pet crates can also be used as home furniture so as to save space.
• The combination of metal and plastic gives the crate a unique.
• Most combination pet crates have entry and exit doors.
• Some crates come with transport wheels at the bottom for easy transportation.
• They save space and look better than the average metal or plastic pet crates.
• Combination pet crates can be used as home furniture so as to save space.
• Combination pet crates are extremely heavy.
• They are hard to assemble.
Best Combination Pet Crate: Palos Designs Coventry Wood and Metal Pet Crate
The Palos Designs Coventry Wood and Metal Pet Crate is one of the best combination pet crates available in the market. The crate is made from wood and metal to ensure durability and to give the crate a stylish look. The dog crate is designed to complement your home décor. It features metal spindles in sides and on the door to prevent your dog from chewing. The crate has an overall dimensions of 25″W x 36″D x 30″H and inside dimensions of 22″W x 33″D x 27″H. The wood and metal pet crate also offers your pet a 360-degree view of his environment, which is important for dogs that are social and love to see their surroundings. If you are looking for a strong, durable and stylish combination pet crate; the Palos Designs Coventry Wood and Metal Pet Crate can be an ideal selection.
Dog crates are available in different sizes to suit different dog sizes and breeds. If you are buying a crate for a puppy, it is advisable for you to buy an adjustable full sized dog crate and adjust it to your dog’s size as it grows with time. A dog crate can be an important asset for a dog owner if it is properly used. A pet crate should never be used as a punishment for the pet. Using a crate as punishment can make your dog fear and hate the crate. It is also important for you to ensure that you do not leave the pet in the crate for too long. Leaving the dog in the crate for too long can not only causes your dog to become overheated but it can also affect the health of your dog.
The crate can be used for training but ensure that you allow the dog learn to get into the crate on their own. We have provides you with tips to guide you in selecting the best dog crate for your pet. If you follow the tips that we have offered, you will be able to select a crate that is comfortable for your dog and one that meets your requirements. We hope the above buying guide has given you an invaluable insight into the best crate to buy for your dog.